COMMUNITY REFLECTIONS July 3rd – 21st, 2014 List of Artwork by artist Sandra Stowell
My work in this exhibition is not for sale. It is experimental, and most pieces are, I hope, prototypes for larger more durable work.
1. Four Watchers, 70”x72”. Fabric, photo transfers, & ink. This curtain screens but lets in the light, and it changes with the light. The center area represents the connections made & broken by power lines, phone lines, & building rooftops in the city. The rats go everywhere, and see everything although we only seem them some of the time.
2. The Fight I & The Fight II, each 20” x 24”. In each piece, an observer watches with angst the tension between a female & male figure. Someone will get hurt. These works are translucent, designed to hang in front of a window or other diffuse light.
3. The Ancestors, 16” x 20” plus frame. The watchers in this 2-D mixed media work are strong and tense, but they are not anxious as they watch the bones of a human figure returning to the earth.
4. Shattered, 6” x 6” x 18”. Plexiglass, inkjet prints, tape, LED lights. The two fighting figures are in Pioneer Square, represented by the iron & glass Victorian pergola which has been shattered and restored several times.
5. Community of Shadows, 18” x 22” x 26”. Lightbox, cardboard, plywood, spraypaint, vellum, inkjet prints, markers. Translucent abstract and representation 3-sided figures populate a lit stage. This piece is both dark and light, and it is not clear why these figures gather here or how they relate to each other.