Saga of the Three Angels Mold
The saga of the Three Angels mold continues! Due to issues with my original Three Angels paperclay on board bas relief, I made a pourable silicone mold that was incomplete: the mold had all the relief and detail, but was not poured around the edges of the piece to create a full mold. I succeeded in making a decent plaster cast, but my rudimentary box containment system leaked badly when I cast with slow curing deep pour resin! By panicked efforts, I salvaged a fairly decent resin cast, but what an ordeal!
Now I am improving my tricky mold in order to make a limited number of additional casts. So I had various ideas for the next attempt, and settled on enhancing the mold using tubes of hardware store silicone. I built another “box” just slightly larger than the 24″x18″ artwork and partial mold. Then I filled the edges with silicone, and carefully built these up to be at least 1/2″ higher than the mold “background” level. This description makes the process sound straight forward and simple, but that is only in hindsight! It took time to work out the plan details, and to implement it.
Here is a photo of the improved mold, at left, with new pigment added for the next resin pour.
The first resin cast is in the photo at right; you can see that I used different colors this time.
I think this will do a much better job of containing the resin for my next cast! But this time I will take precautions before starting my casting. I will contain the mold & box in plastic, just in case there will another leak.
Tune in next week for the continuation of the saga of the three angels mold!
This is an important artwork for me! I would like to make 3-5 good resin casts, and 3 cement casts from this mold. But I think no more than 15 casts total. This is not really an edition, as I plan to make them all unique in some way. But I will set a limit on the number of casts.